Friday, August 20, 2004

Life can really deal it, can't it?

Well, here I am in my final few days of camp.

We had our dress rehearsal today - alhtough thanks to some administrative genius of thought - we had no audienece. Still it went well and the kids are really starting to have fun with Dylan Thomas' piece of Welsh life!

A couple of things:

One of my kids (Danielle) had a nose bleed yesterday.

It started at 12 midday

It stopped at 10:30pm

She told the nurse at 9pm

Then wondered why she felt so dizzy?

She said she didn't want to make a fuss because her mum (sorry, Mom) calls her a drama queen when she complains. Now, this could be just me, but if you been having a nose bleed for anything more than an hour - I'm pretty sure 'mentioning' it to someone (or quite frankly, running hysterically to the nurse) doesn't count as being a drama queen......

And the other truly heinous event of this week.

Another of my girl's (Mikki) went home today.

Her Gran died a couple of days ago and her mum came to pick her up and take her home. (The funeral is on Sunday) Sounds sensible enough. But Mikki wasn't told, until her mum arrived at Stagedoor told her, and then she had to pack up and leave to catch a flight that night. Mikki didn't know her mum was even coming.

I was told last night. I was so glad I was told then and not - as TPTB had decided - this morning. It meant I got chance to spend extra time with her, make sure they had a room photo and all that stuff, so as today was not so traumatic. It was hard being in the room with them (and going down to check on 'Elle at the nurse) and knowing that tommorow her emotions were going to go through the ringer. It almost broke my heart when her mum showed up at mail meeting (we were all seated in the lobby) and Mikki's face lit up and she was all excited because her mum was here.

She was great though. Reacted the way I probably would have done. Had a little cry, and then went straight to the practicalities. I just know it's going to hit her when she gets home.

Oh... and they've decide to send me on the airport trip. This airport trip means - getting up at the crack of dawn, running round the airport's with the kids and coming straight home. Not exactly what I was looking forward to! Still it'll be a break from here.

No comments: