Friday, September 10, 2004

Wil Wheaton saved my Sanity!

You may remember this enthsiastic post about me buying the book I've been looking forward to all summer - "Just A Geek"

Well, I did indeed spend 11 hours in Newark airport most of which passed very quickly thanks to this well written piece of literature.

I started reading it at about 11:30pm, positioned on a seat facing the runway with my legs draped over my luggage in an effort to stop them being pinched/taken away by security..... It had been a long day....OK?

On the surface it appears to be a book about how Wil Wheaton came about writing a book. But it is made so much more than that because of the soul searching and honesty that goes into it. I am a fan of Wil's blog, I've read it for almost 2 years now, so the way he intergrates what he posted with actually how he felt at the time was interesting.

He is blatantly honest about the times when he was trying to come across as 'the guy who's cool with all the crap being thrown at him' when actually it was making him mad and what he wanted to do was rant and rave. It's very reassuring to see how he finally brought that honesty onto his webblog and how people responded to it in a mostly positive way. The 'honesty' factor is something that many people with webblog's (including myself) wrestle with, thus making his struggles with it relatable.

His story telling style is great. Whether it's about his experience on the Star Trek: Nemesis set and all the emotions that brought out, or his audition experiences, he makes you feel involved and present; so much you can almost smell the atmosphere.

His experiences are pretty unique but the emotion's and 'demon's' he has had to deal with are common to most people in some way or other. This is what makes this book so readable and fascinating.

I had one break in the middle of reading it - my eye's were hurting so I sat and watched some Fed-Ex planes take-off to unknown destination's and got a coffee, then I started again and read right through - even the appendices. I was just finishing as the sun started to rise (no, honestly!)and it seemed like a very fitting ending.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who keeps a webblog, who is anywhere around Wil's age, and anyone who enjoy's a good honest read.

No comments: