Monday, November 10, 2003

The Eclipse and it's thought's

Well, incase any of you, like me, did not know there was to be an eclipse on Saturday night....there was.

I was doing a 'get out' at the Belgrade in Coventry when one of the stage boys got a message on his phone. So we left the set we were dismantling (only briefly mind!) and ran out of the dock door to see it. (this prompted the security guard to take a mild interest in what was happening on the monitors at least!) It was amazing. I must have seen eclipses before - probably when I was younger and not allowed to stay up 'til it was complete - and of course there was the solar eclipse (which I witnesses a top a moor, with cheese and biscuits, half the crew of Heartbeat and some sheep. I think Arthur (props guy)may have done something involving finger cymbals but the rest remains a secret!) but apart from that I don't really remember one.

So as we carried the set out piece by piece we saw the moon slowly masked by this shadow until all that was left was like the imprint of it on the sky with a halo around it. Amazing. And seeing all these burly men just as interested was pretty cool too!

It got me thinking againg about how amazing the universe is and how small we are really. I love the sky. Clouds are wonderful things - the big ones with loads of shadow that creep across the horizon like mountains that can't be climbed. I often try to imagine what it would be like (if it were possible!) scale it and look down. I know you kind of get the effect from being in a plane but it would be amazing to feel the wind and the peace of being up there. I love it when you're in a plane and you're between 2 sheets of cloud like a tunnel there's something really mystical about it.

I would love to see the earth from space one day (you never know!) I think it would be so calming and really put things into perspective. I think a lot of people would really benefit from a brief look at how small the world really is and to see the pointlessness of so many of our negative actions and how we really need to start taking care of the resources we have as a planet (as oppose to as countries) 'cos other wise - to put it frankly - we're screwed.

No comments: