Sunday, February 08, 2004

Come fly with me....

That's what I feel like on the painkillers I've been given. Don't really kill much pain but do make me nicely high!

Hospital was OK. Shared the ward with 5 ladies "of a certain age" who were all lovely and had had a couple of chats with them. They were all in before me (3 with knee Op's, one with bunions and 1 with hand Op) and I left before them! Above my bed There was a Pull don/across TV which was also a Telephone and internet (when enabled) so it was all pretty cushty really.

I was really nervous on Thursday night and didn't sleep very well. But I felt much better about it by Friday morning. I was supposed to go down at 10:30am but someone got stuck in traffic so I didn't go anywhere until midday, but people were praying for me and sending me mojo I guess because I was still pretty calm when I went down. The anashetic was like a warm buzzing for about 5 secs then *phut* asleep. Next thing I know I'm lying on my side in the post-Op room with guy chatting to me.

Was suddenly acutely aware of 4 things.
*My throat was so painful (tube with gas goes down it - not surprising)
* I have a really bad headache (due to not drinking anything since the night before - it now being 3:15pm! and the anasthetic) Apparently that's what a hangover feels like - Oh please don't let me break the habit of a lifetime and have one EVER!
*I feel sick
*My right toe hurts. - This shouldn't happen so I'm quickly given 2 painkillers (the 1st one doesn't work) then neither does the 2nd one so I get paracetamol to swallow - kind of hard when you're still somewhere in dream land! Apparently the consultant did my left toe blocker (the anesthetic they put directly in the toe and ankle) and the student did the right one. Hope they get it right next time!

Feet didn't hurt for the rest of Friday just a nice buzzy feeling. Mum was there when I came out and Dad, Jo (S.Mum) and Vicky came to see me in the evening - Vicky bought me a colouring book, en-genius!

Saturday morning, wake up feeling very strange, bit nauseous and toes aching/hurting in turn. Nausea comes to fruition so Russell (my named nurse) gives me an anti-sickness jab - it doesn't work, feel really rough so go to sleep. Wake up about an hour later feeling much better. Eat shredded wheat and await the physio's. Physio's come, standing up is a riot - kind of hard to do that on your heels with these funny boottee things on that have a wedge so your toes are like a mile of the floor! Still I manage to walk with them for a bit. So they get me elbow crutches and my balance etc is a lot easier. Try the stairs - doddle - why is that easier than walking - very odd! So they say I can go home - yey! Mum come at 2:30pm and head off out of the hospital. Have to go back in 2 weeks too have my plaster off and stitches out and new plaster on.

So am home, toes ache continually but am getting used to it. Worst pain is standing up, can feel everything pulling. Balance is getting better on the crutches. I went to church this morning and so saw Abi being christened - even managed to go to the buffet after - although my pain killers did wear off 1/2 was through :(

Everytime I lie down now I feel like I've got shoes on, last night I kept waking up and wanting to take them off! I've never Broken a bone/been on crutches before so this whole plaster cast thing is new to me! Tomorrow begins the time of fending off boredom - polish language tape here we come!

No comments: